Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wordless Wednesday: Grundy the Mortician

Well I am sitting down to take a quick break. My mind always wonders about my relatives. What do they look like? Are they shy, happy, or the life-of-the-party? I have a small family or my knowledge of 'family' can be counted on ten fingers. I am wondering how can this be? Are they searching or wondering about me? So instead of dream or hoping-- I decided to let Google help me out. I searched Family Search and stumbled across several surnames. Grundy. This is the married name of my grandmother. I haven't been able to find her, but I may have found a distant relative. Perhaps it may even be someone out there whom I am 'shinning' the light on. To honor GeneaBlogger's Wordless Wednesday's theme. The theme is to celebrate an ancestor's occupation or an announcement. I am not saying that I am related to this particular person, but I think he should be honored. His name is Thomas C. Grundy. He was a mortician. It takes a special person to handle the affairs of family members during one of the most sensitive times in ones life. As a mortician, I am sure there were many times he was sought after to handle crisis situations.

I found his death certificate via Family Search and saw who his parents where. There may be a family connection as his parents lived near my relatives who share the same surname and resides in Cass County, Texas in the early 1900s. I found the picture of the headstone from the Find-A-Grave Website. One of his relatives created a digital memorial to honor him. From the death certificate, I was able to find out where he was buried. And I realized that he may have been buried in a family mortuary business. So before I jump through any more hoops, I just wanted to share with everyone that there is so much information that you can find out about a person-- especially from the death certificate. I haven't found my grandmother, however I plan on continuing the effort as I plan to research Cass County, Texas and its early settlers of the 1850s-1930s. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment