Friday, January 6, 2012

Family Recipies Friday- Mac N Cheese

Happy New Year everyone!!! In my attempt to re-start my genealogy blog I wanted to participate in the Daily Blogging Prompts by the helpful GeneaBloggers Weblog. Every New Years eve/day it has become a tradition in my family to serve Collard Greens, corn bread, macaroni and cheese, and delicious poultry. My last two years of travel has made it difficult to be with family on NYE so instead I have decided to continue the family traditions by cooking them at my house. I won't give all the family secrets away in one blog post.
One of my pet peeves in any meal is that the Macaroni and Cheese has to be on point or the rest of the meal is going to be a uncomfortable experience. So I called my sister to get the recipe for our family macaroni and cheese.
Ingredients
1 box Elbow Noodles (1lb)- cook until al dente
2 large eggs
1 can evaporated milk (carnation)
1 tsp of butter
8 oz sharp Cheddar cheese block
8 oz Colby cheese block
1 bag of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt & pepper to taste
9 X 11 casserole pan
Prepare items
Cut 2- 8 oz cheese block horizontally (once) and then slice vertically in 1 inch.
Boil a large pot of water (6-8 cups) and add 1 tsp of salt. Once the water starts boiling add the noodles and stir periodically.
Prepare Wet Mixture
In a medium size bowl, add the cheese cubes, evaporated milk, 2 eggs, 1 tsp butter.
Watch and stir the boiling noodles for 5-7 minutes. Be sure not to cook all the way done because this will cause the noodles to be mushy. Once noodles are al dente (almost done), drain the water using a colander. Put noodles in the casserole dish. Add the wet mixture on top of the noodles. Cover the entire casserole with the shredded cheese (be sure to cover all noodles). In pre-heat oven at 350, allow casserole to cook for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment